University of California, Riverside

Education Abroad Program and Opportunities Abroad Program

Travel and Safety


The EAP and OAP Office is dedicated in providing access to a wide variety of international opportunities abroad. Maximizing the safety and well being of students here at UCR and those who travel abroad is of utmost concern. This involves tracking student activity, consultation on risk abatement and best practices for health and safety, orientation for students, and creating mechanisms in limiting severe incidents and responding quickly and efficiently to incidents when they occur.

A truly fulfilling international experience is one where you remain safe, healthy and comfortable! Here are some resources and guidelines to follow when traveling:

Applying for Your Passport

Who needs a U.S. passport?

Anyone leaving the U.S. for travel, work or study.

Who applies in person?

  • First-time passport owners
  • Previous passport owners whose passports were lost, stolen or damaged
  • Previous passport owners whose passports are more than 15 years old

Who can renew by mail?

  • Passport owners whose passports are undamaged and can be submitted with their applications.
  • Previous passport owners whose passports were issued when they were 16 years or older.
  • Previous passport owners whose passports were issued within the last 15 years.
  • Previous passport owners whose passports were issued in their current name or if they legally document a name change.

How do I get an application?

  •  Get the U.S. passport application, Form DS-11, online through the U.S. Department of State.
  • Get a printed copy at a U.S. post office.

 What do I need to bring when I apply?

  •  Your application, which you must complete in blue or black ink only! Do not sign it. You will do this when you meet with the passport agent.
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship, such as a birth certificate with the registrar’sseal, a previous U.S. passport or naturalization papers.
  • Proof of identity, such as a driver’s license, naturalization papers, a previous passport, a social security card or any other identification that shows your photograph or signature.
    • Two identical 2” x 2” color photos taken within the last sixth months. These photos will have a white background and a clear facial shot. Do not get your picture taking in a photo booth or don’t have someone take it for you! Get your photo taken at one of the providers listed below:

Moreno Valley Main Post Office

23580 Alessandro Boulevard, Moreno Valley, CA 92553‐9998

951-656-9720 | Mon‐Sat, 10 a.m.‐3 p.m. | Photos: $15 for 2.

Walgreens (Photo Department)

6600 Magnolia Avenue, Riverside, CA 92506

951-786-9243 | Open seven days a week, 9 a.m.‐12 p.m.

How much does it cost to apply?

For applicants 16 and older:


For applicants under 15:


Application Fee:


Application Fee:



Execution Fee:


Execution Fee:









How do I pay?

Pay all fees when you apply.

Application Fee:

  • Credit Cards (VISA, MasterCard, American Express, Discover) and Debit/Check Cards
  • Checks (personal, certified, cashiers, travelers), payable to “Department of State”
  • Money orders (U.S. Postal, international, currency exchanges) and bank drafts, payable to “Department of State”

Execution Fee:

This goes directly to the passport agency. If you’re writing a check or money order, make it payable to their office.

What if I need my passport in a hurry?

For $60 more plus overnight shipping costs, you can apply for expedited service.

When should I apply?

  • Apply early to avoid the rush!
  • Give yourself three to six months before you depart. Processing generally takes four to six weeks, so plan ahead! Some countries now require a valid passport when you apply for an Education Abroad Program!

 Where can I apply?

County Clerk & Recorders Office

2720 Gateway Drive

Riverside, CA 92507


Mon‐Thurs, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.


Riverside City Clerk’s Office

Public Utilities Customer Resource Center

3025 Madison Street

Riverside, CA 92504


Mon‐Fri 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.

Photos: $9 for 2


Riverside Main Post Office

4150 Chicago Avenue

Riverside, CA 92507‐9998


Mon‐Fri, 10 a.m.‐2 p.m.

Photos: $15 for 2

AAA (Automobile Club of Southern California)

3700 Central Avenue

Riverside, CA 92506


Mon‐Fri, 9 a.m.‐5 p.m., Sat. 10 a.m.‐2 p.m.

Riverside Downtown Station Post Office

3890 Orange Street

Riverside, CA 92501


Mon‐Fri, 9 a.m.‐1 p.m. and 2‐3 p.m.

By appointment only.


For More Info …

Applying for a Visa

Visa requirements to enter your host country will vary. Check here to find the information you need. Give yourself plenty of time to complete this process!


Airport Screening Tips

When you leave to fly to another country, get to the airport in enough time to go through security check, customs and immigration.

Security check can be lengthy and cumbersome. Here are tips to help it go more smoothly:

  • Avoid wearing these items or prepare to remove them during screening:
  • Heavy jewelry, including pins, necklaces, bracelets, rings, watches, earrings, body piercings and cuff links
  • Clothing with metal buttons, snaps or studs
  • Metal hair barrettes or other hair decoration
  • Belt buckles
  • Underwire bras
  • Hidden items such as body piercings may result in additional screening, including a pat-down. If selected for additional screening, passengers may ask to remove their body piercing in private.
  • Take metal items such as keys, loose change, smartphones, out of pockets and place in your carry-on baggage before going through security.
  • Pack all coats and jackets in checked luggage when possible. Trench coats, heavy winter coats, suit jackets, sport coats and blazers will have to go through the X-ray machine for inspection. If bring an outer coat or jacket on the plane, you’ll have to put it in your carry-on bag or in the overhead bin.
  • Keep these items out and be ready to show them multiple times:
    • Airline boarding pass
    • Government-issued photo identification (such as your passport)

If you don’t proper identification, you may have to go through additional screening. If you are under 18, you will not have to show ID.

  • Remove your coat and shoes, have your laptop out, be ready to put them on the conveyer belt for X-ray screening.
  • If someone is accompanying you through security checkpoint because you have a medical condition, ask your airline what documentation you need to show to prove your companion has clearance.

To Help You Plan …


For Study Abroad Students


Links for All Global Travelers

Travel Alerts

Mobility Assistance


Travel Guides

Hostels Around the World

Links A-Z

Emergency Procedures

The EAP and OAP Office monitors information relevant to the safety of all students abroad and international students at UCR, from official sources as well as domestic and international partners and colleagues. In addition to other sources of evidence of potential risk to students, primary consideration is given to Travel Warnings and Travel Alerts issued by the U.S. Department of State. Additionally, the U.S. State Departments issues information on International Travel Safety for Students Abroad.

In addition to looking to State Department travel advisories for guidance, the EAP and OAP Office consults regularly with the UC Education Abroad Program Systemwide Office and various study abroad organizations in which our students participate on.

Education Abroad Program (EAP)

Emergency Contact Number: 805-893-4762

  • If seriously injured or sick, get medical treatment at the closest medical facility and contact the local UCEAP representative.
  •  If medical service is not available, call Europ Assistance collect 202-828-5896 or call the UCEAP 24-hour emergency number above.

Opportunities Abroad Program (OAP)

Depending on the circumstances do one of the following:

  • Contact local emergency services
  • Contact OAP in-country supports staff immediately
  • Notify the EAP and OAP Office

UCR’S Travel Warning Policy

While UCR encourages students to participate in educational opportunities throughout the world, we do not endorse participation in areas with recognized regional dangers or instabilities as determined by the U.S. State Department. Click here to learn more about our travel warning policy.



More Information 

General Campus Information

University of California, Riverside
900 University Ave.
Riverside, CA 92521
Tel: (951) 827-1012

Department Information

Education Abroad Program and Opportunities Abroad Program
Olmsted Hall, Room 2322

Tel: (951) 827-2508
Fax: (951) 827-2618